Writings
Sunday, April 02, 2006
  Just Lighten Up
Midtowns Mission
Midtown seems to attract people who are in pivot points in their life. Either a life change has been forced upon them or they are in the midst of a big life change.

People who are searching for something different with Church and community.

I like to think that we are a support to people who are in a pivot point. That Midtown helps to guide people through a difficult transition or decision in life.

Often times after the transition or decision becomes clear, they thank us and move on.

I think that’s really cool.

Many of the transitions that we experience from time to time are very positive but often times the symptom is discomfort. Life isn’t working. A feeling that God isn’t showing up to do what He’s supposed to do. That can lead to dissatisfaction or even depression.

I love how Brennan Manning uses the term “those people whose cheese is continually sliding off their cracker”.

Transition is really difficult and even more so if you have to portray an image that everything is ‘fine’.

But people here are refreshingly not afraid to be open with their own instability.

So the result is growth and depth. People who swing by here for a season usually seem to me to leave with a more mature faith. And those of us who stick around to welcome and love the travelers have also grown immensely.

And the result of that is a church group that reaches all over the world.

I believe that a lesson I’ve learned even more deeply here at Midtown is that if you want to have the biggest impact you don’t build a huge auditorium and try to pack it full of people.

You go deep with a smaller bunch of people. You toss out the things that only allow you to scratch the surface.

Because all of those people who depart here are taking the message of the Gospel and Grace and living it in their new communities. And I like to think that the people who they are coming into contact with are doing the same thing.

And thus The Message as Eugene Peterson likes to call it gets spread all over the world.

We at Midtown have a unique calling and purpose. Part of that purpose is to provide a home for the travelers.
For the people whose cheese is falling off their cracker. People who have no idea what God is up to with their lives. People who may be stuck and think that they don’t belong in a church.

People come here and see more honesty than usually happens in a church.

Intimacy Intro
For me Midtown was where God started getting it through my thick skull that His acceptance of me had nothing to do with how well I was doing at being a Christian that particular week.

I had heard the terminology of ‘intimacy with God’ and I wanted it. I wanted to experience Jesus all through my life.

The word intimacy is often used in a sensual way, but what it means is familiarity. To know personally. Like two old men who sit in the park together every day and play chess in the way that they have for the last 30 years.

In 1998 I left the business world to go on a cross country Young Life trip with high school students. We spent many nights on a tour bus and I remember a late night conversation with a couple of other leaders. All of us were in our mid twenties and single. It was probably 2 in the morning and we were talking about what we were looking for in our future spouse. As we were running through everything that our dream spouse would be endowed with, Randy, the area director who had been married as long as we had been alive said “ya’ll need to shut up. When you meet someone who accepts YOU for who YOU are you’ll marry them”.

Two thoughts immediately went through my mind….
1. I don’t think I could respect someone who accepted me how I am
2. The intimate marriage relationship that I wanted would have to be founded on acceptance.

That was rather frightening. God was going to have to seriously blind some poor woman.

The closeness I wanted with my future wife would be founded on acceptance. Not only would that person have to accept me, but I’d have to accept that person’s acceptance.

And that is what was also going on with me spiritually.

My difficulty and the barrier in experiencing the intimacy and familiarity I wanted with God was related to the difficulty I had with God’s acceptance of me.

That’s why this is so important.

Spiritual growth, discipleship, spiritual formation, growing to spiritual maturity – what Paul talked about so much is really growing in intimacy with God. And intimacy will never happen if there is uncertainty about acceptance.

Not only that, but acceptance naturally leads to intimacy. That’s what Randy was telling me. If someone truly accepts you and you accept that, then intimacy will occur.

That’s why this whole acceptance thing is so important and scary. That’s why we obsess over whether or not we are acceptable.

Our desire for intimacy in our relationships with people as well as with God is what makes us want to make ourselves acceptable. So we set out to make ourselves acceptable in all of the ways that we are taught to and if by golly we are doing a good job at it, we might put ourselves out there into the spotlight with the sneaking suspicion that we are living a lie. If we are not feeling like we are performing acceptably then we hide.

I’ve spent a lot of time hiding because of my own knowledge that I was blowing it.

Paul spends a lot of time on this because there were a lot of people out there trying to get people to make themselves acceptable.

Philippians 3:1 – Review Time
Paul states that he’s repeating himself. He’s written this before in earlier letters.

What Paul so desperately desired for them was that they would go deep together with God. He talked more about that than evangelism or giving or anything else.

Paul knew that in order to live like God’s child, there needed to be the intimacy of that kind of relationship. In order to have that kind of relationship, there needed to be acceptance.

The More Things Change…
There were a lot of super-religious people who were trying to get people to live up to the standard.

And so for the sake of argument, Paul throws himself up to the standard.

Paul’s Cred
Paul came from the best family, was raised right, was very obedient to the law, was well educated and was very successful at his career of condemning people and killing Christians.

He was the Pharisee version of ‘Robo-Christian’.

And that was the barrier between him and Jesus.


The things that we do to make ourselves acceptable – even to God, get in the way of our ability to experience God. They are counter productive.
To Paul, when he was really doing a good job at being acceptable, it was doggie doo-doo.

I’ve dumped it all in the trash so that I could embrace Christ and be embraced by Him. I didn’t want some petty inferior brand of righteousness that comes from keeping a list of rules when I could get the robust kind that comes from trusting Christ – God’s righteousness.

I gave up all that inferior stuff so I could know Christ personally, experience his resurrection power, be a partner in his suffering, and go all the way with him to death itself.

We Need to Give Up
Steve Brown says “if you are obedient and you know it, my prayer is that you blow it big time.

God has a word for you: “lighten up”. Philippians 3:1. The spiritual journey is not the pony express.


************************************************************************************************************************************************
 
Comments:
Loved your post on small group fellowship! I have been apart of a home fellowship now for 3 1/2 years, and these dear saints are my church family. I sometimes go, once in a blue moon to a local large church for the worship, but that is rare. I just don't fit in to well with those Protestant Walmarts; however I can understand that it might be for some in their walk with Jesus. Everyone is on a journey.

Grace & Peace,
in Jesus,
Dave
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:

We are making a renewed effort to keep our family and friends informed about our lives these days.

ARCHIVES
May 2005 / July 2005 / December 2005 / April 2006 /


Powered by Blogger